- Alessio Planeta
Syrah is a noble Mediterranean grape which gives of its best in bright dry places like our Sicily. Because of this we have a great belief in the future of this variety in our island. This interpretation of Syrah is produced in a modern style, respecting all the characteristics of the vine, from an extraordinary vineyard – Maroccoli at about 400 metres, in an unspoilt area. Powerful and impenetrable, this is a wine destined for long aging.Menfi, in the southeastern portion of Sicily, is the heart of Planeta and its operational base. Various types of soil are found here, but all are rich in lime and clay, ideal for the international red grape varieties which are transformed into wine at La Dispensa winery – Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc.
- Grape Variety
- 100% Syrah
- The grapes are de-stemmed, crushed, extraction of skins followed by 12 days of maceration at 25°C with fermentation in stainless steel vats.
- 12 months in French oak
- | Appearance
- Ruby red with violet undertones.
- | Aroma
- Full and rounded bouquet; sweet oriental spices with recall of toasted cocoa.
- | Taste
- Sun ripened black fruit now with more wintery notes of leather and humus, enveloping sensation velvety with a minty and black pepper finish
- | Serving Suggestions
- Serve with roast leg of lamb, pasta with sauce of braised short rib, crown roast of pork, hard aged cheese.
- Suggested Retail:
- Available Sizes:
- Bottles Per Case:
Wine Spectator - December 2007 - 91 points
A very subtle, rich red, with light meat, chocolate and berry character on the nose and palate. Full-bodied, with a pretty core of ripe fruit, silky tannins and a long, fruity, slightly jammy finish. Best after 2008. 81,665 cases made. –JS