- Guido Rivella and Angelo Gaja
The Gaja winery was founded by Giovanni Gaja in 1859 and has been owned and operated by four generations of the Gaja family. The winery is in the town of Barbaresco, which lies just northeast of Alba in Piemonte. This is the centre and namesake of the zone of production that is Barbaresco. Many consider Angelo Gaja to be the father of modern Italian winemaking as his revolutionary work in the vineyards and winery, which began in the 1960's, created new trends in the Italian winemaking industry which laid the foundation for today's multitude of successes in Italy. The Barbaresco is their flagship wine and is a gem in any cellar.
- Grape Variety
- 100% Nebbiolo
- Fermentation with the skins occurs in stainless steel tanks at controlled temperatures of
- 12 months of barrique aging; 12 months of aging in large oak casks.
- | Appearance
- | Aroma
- Sensual in its complexity, with aromas of forest fruits, plums, licorice, mineral and coff
- | Taste
- Long, complex finish with fine, silk-like tannins and good acidity; dense structure, full
- | Serving Suggestions
- Braised red meats, roast beef and rabbit. Rosemary garlic, hard cheeses. Truffle polenta and pasta with chicken.
- Suggested Retail:
- Available Sizes:
- Bottles Per Case:
The Wine Advocate - Robert Parker -94 points
Floral aromatics give way to bright spiced red fruits, menthol and licorice as the 2005 Barbaresco opens in the glass. This is a firm, classically built wine of notable elegance. The tannins are substantial yet beautifully woven into the wine’s mid-weight frame. This is another beautiful Barbaresco from Angelo Gaja, but it will require patience as it is tightly wound today. Anticipated Maturity: 2015-2030
The Wine Advocate - Robert Parker - 93 points
The 2006 Barbaresco reveals terrific concentration, depth and purity. This is a remarkably soft, harmonious Barbaresco from Angelo Gaja with pretty notes of raspberries, crushed flowers and spices. The wine turns more powerful in the glass, as it gains additional richness, volume and depth, all of which carry through to the polished finish. The wine's balance is impeccable, and this is easily is one the more harmonious, complete wines of the vintage. Anticipated maturity: 2016-2026.